2019-09-15, 14:30–15:00, Ferrier Hall
Blue Dot is a bluetooth remote and Python library to allow anyone (from new learner up) to remove the wires from their Python project.
One of the big challenges with new learners creating physical computing projects is that taking control of their projects remotely is hard, particularly for those new to programming, computing and making, Blue Dot's aim was to make this as simple as pressing a button.
The talk will cover:
- the objectives, what the project was trying to achieve
- the constraints, it had to be easy for everyone to install and use
- the technical implementation (including a super simple, reliable Bluetooth comms API)
- the design, opening my mind to the versatility of a big blue dot
- why a simple design is a good design
- the future, what comes next, more dots, BLE, iOS